Born in The Bronx, New York, I.C. RAPOPORT attended NYC Public Schools, including the School of Industrial Arts (now School of Art & Design), and later studied photography under Clarence White at Ohio University.
RAPOPORT returned to New York City where his first job was as assistant to Bridal Fashion Photographer Robert Randall. He later assisted famed LIFE Photographer Nina Leen documenting rare china and Museum Masterpieces. In 1959, RAPOPORT began working as an apprentice photojournalist for PARIS MATCH magazine in their Manhattan Bureau. Graduating to full time work with Paris Match he photographed Fidel Castro and Marilyn Monroe and filmmaker Francois Truffaut.
Drafted into U.S. Army during John F. Kennedy administration, RAPOPORT secured a position stationed in the Pentagon and the White House the Chief US Army Photographer – where he traveled with the President and photographed Special Warfare Center/Special Forces (Green Berets) as they were created.
Afer military service, RAPOPORT returned to New York and continued working at Paris Match, photographed the funeral of JFK having his photo of Jackie Kennedy on the cover of the Special Funeral Issue. RAPOPORT continued woring freelance for The Saturday Evening Post, LIFE, TIME, Sports Illustrated (Joe Pilates), Newsweek, National Geographic and other publications and advertising agencies. He sold first screenplay to Palomar Pictures/Edgar J. Scherick and began his career as screen and television writer.
Sold first screenplay CALEY to Palomar Pictures/Edgar J. Scherick.
First feature produced: TO KILL A CLOWN starring Alan Alda & Blythe Danner
Subsequent MOW’s for CBS, NBC, ABC:
- THOU SHALT NOT KILL (NBC) starring Lee Grant, Robert Culp, Gary Graham
- MARATHON (CBS) with Bob Newhart
- WORD OF HONOR (CBS) with Karl Malden, Ron Silver, John Malkavitch (first film)
- INNOCENT LOVE (CBS) starring Steven (Rocky) Bauer, Melissa Sue Anderson
- LIVING PROOF (Hank Williams Jr. Story) (NBC) with Richard Thomas
- I MARRIED WYATT EARP (NBC) with Marie Osmond
- STEELER AND THE PITTSBURGH KID, Henry Thomas, Mean Joe Greene
- COOK & PEARY, The Race to the Pole (CBS) with Rod Steiger, Richard Chamberlain
- STRANGER ON MY LAND (ABC) with Tommy Lee Jones, Ben Johnson
- HAPPY (CBS) with Dom DeLouise
- JERICHO FEVER (USA) Bonnie Bedelia
- CHEETAH AND FRIENDS (DISNEY FEATURE)
- PILOT and 4 episodes of BORN TO THE WIND (NBC) starring Will Sampson
- 5 SEASONS: LAW & ORDER (17 episodes)
- 1 SEASON: PROFILER (4 episodes)
- 1 SEASON: VERITAS: The Quest
- Winner of the Mystery Writers EDGAR Award for his Law & Order teleplay: “Dead Beat”
- Nominated for WGA Outstanding Dramatic Writing “Dead Beat”
- Law & Order winner of the Emmy, Best Dramatic Series
SIXTY STRANGE DAYS – Words and Pictures of Rapoport’s boot camp experiences 1961
ABERFAN: The Days After – Photographs from the after days of the Aberfan Welsh mine related disaster 2005
KAPINSKY’S STILL DEAD – Police Drama, NYPD female detective catches difficult puzzling murder case 2010